Tuesday, April 3, 2012

A Day in Salt Lake....

Recently, our Young Women's group decided to go to Salt Lake City to go to the General Young Women's Broadcast.

I woke up at five a.m. to meet them at six. We headed out and four hours later, we were in Salt Lake, getting ready to hike Ensign Peak.


It's not a big hill, but it sure is steep. I was out of breath by the time I reached the top.

The view from the top was breathtaking! You could see anything, and everything.


It was so sad, you couldn't see the temple stick out. Like in Idaho Falls, you can see it no matter what.


It just caught me off guard, and made me realize how different we are from Utah.

At the top of Ensign Peak we each unfurled a banner that we had made. It included something each girl in our group had said about them.


Our theme for this year is Arise and Shine Forth. The scripture to go along with it is Doctrine and Covenants 115:5, Verily I say unto you all: Arise and shine forth that thy light may be a standard for the nations. As well, our theme to go along with it is I Am.

After we hiked down and ate lunch, we went to the mall that had opened that day. It's called the City Creek Center.


This is the "city creek" that runs through the mall. Let me tell you, it was an amazing sight, but it was way too crowed.

We had had such an amazing spiritual experience and we were all bonding so well, and killed the Spirit almost instantly. There was just too much chaos, and it didn't seem to fit with the amazing experience we were going to have at the Conference.

Our leaders could feel that and they left not 20 minutes after we had arrived at the mall. We went directly across the street and were in a place the Spirit could prominently be felt.

We went to the South Visitors' Center in Temple Square and it was amazing. It just felt so safe, and I felt in such a good environment, that all my cares didn't matter.

Soon after, we went to the conference.

There is a lot of seats there. One of my leaders looked it up and found out later that there are 21,000 or more seats in the Conference Center.


It is truly an amazing experience to be in the presence of so many Young Women who are just like me.
  As well, it was such a unique and moving experience to be in the same room as the prophet.


You could feel as soon as he walked in that he was a man of God. You could tell who he was even though no one had identified him.

The talks were amazing and the choir was powerful. I loved every second of the conference.

We drove home afterwards and got home at 11.

The next day I felt so amazed and awed that the previous day I had been in the presence of the prophet. How many people can say they have. So many people will not have the opportunity to be in the presence of  a prophet it really made me realize how lucky I am to have had the opportunity to do so.

1 comment:

  1. Kelly, I'm so glad that you had the opportunity to go! That experience will stay with you for a long time to come. Remember that whispered testimony that President Monson is a Prophet of God!

    ReplyDelete